Please start any new threads on our new site at We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

Our new SQL Server Forums are live! Come on over! We've restricted the ability to create new threads on these forums.

SQL Server Forums
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ
Register Now and get your question answered!
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2008)
 Downloading e-mail attachments?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  11:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the files that I need to process come in the form of e-mail attachments. Since I can't do it out of the box, I looked at the following solutions. But neither one is for me. Is there an alternative? How do you process e-mail attachments for SSIS

Download Mail Task from Codeplex
A great idea, but it just doesn't work. It may work (or may once have worked) with SQL 2005, but I can't get it to work on SQL 2005 & it definitely doesn't work in 2008. Though this still might be the cheapest alternative if I outsource the work

Receive Mail Task from Cozyroc
Clearly the easiest solution. I only mention it so that no one else suggests it to me. The project I'm working on can't invest $2.5K

MailDrop (non-SSIS)
Then I figured, maybe I would use something else & refer to the files locally. But the only free software I found has one final update which basically says it is not working. No previous versions are offered.

Tips, ideas, conclusions?

Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  12:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE: I am now finding a lot of good snippets of code for downloading e-mail attachments. I'll probably just go that route with a script task. Especially since I'm perfectly OK with deleting the e-mail after it's downloaded (thereby simplifying the whole process). This may not be the place to ask, but can anyone point me to a good tutorial?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000