Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Getting the text right

Author  Topic 

KilpAr
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-11 : 12:33:58
This might be a stupid question, but how do I save text in SQL Server? Specifically I need to make fields that can handle cyrillic and scandinavian alphabets, I tried by defining the datatype as nvarchar, it doesn't recognize either ä or ö, ö appears as dividing mark (something like dot over a line over a dot) and ä appears as õ (that is, a tilde over an o). I thought nvarchar would handle these problems, I also thought I could just define collation as UTF-16 or whatever, but SQL Server 2008 R2 (and it's management studio) doesn't give me any UTF-options in TableDesigner-Collation when editing the design.

edit. The problem occurs when doing a BULK INSERT, the txt-file I use to import the text from looks fine.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-11 : 12:47:20
For BULK INSERT you need to specify DATAFILETYPE = 'widechar', otherwise it will translate to non-Unicode before inserting.
Go to Top of Page

KilpAr
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-15 : 10:58:08
My Excel VBA code for compiling that statement looks now like this:

strsql = "BULK Insert dbo.Comments FROM ""F:\CostControl\" & strTRFile & """ WITH (FIELDTERMINATOR = '\t',ROWTERMINATOR = '\n',DATAFILETYPE = 'widechar')"

Content in that txt-file looks like this:
12 11 äöäöäöäöäöäöä 0

Result in SQL Server looks like this
12 11 õ÷õ÷õ÷õ÷õ÷õ÷õ 0

I have probably some pretty simple error here, any idea what?
Go to Top of Page

KilpAr
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-15 : 11:22:10
I think it is because the txt-file I write from VBA doesn't support UTF-8. i'll get back after I fix that part.
Go to Top of Page

KilpAr
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-15 : 12:06:56
Yeah, it was about that. Now it works perfectly.

Thanks robvolk for answers!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -