Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 change sql server service log on account

Author  Topic 

learning_grsql
Posting Yak Master

230 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-11 : 16:53:46
Hi,

Since computer restarted, sql server service could not start and was just showing "starting" but could not start.

After trying many things, even computer reboot many times, finally I went to sql server properties and changed logon built-in account to computer administrator account with password. It works.

I wonder what the cause of the problem and which user is built-in account and if my change will cause any problem in the future.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-11 : 16:59:26
Is the original account still active? Was its password changed since the service was last started?

Be sure to use a dedicated account rather than a user account for running the service. While you should change the password regular, it should be set to never expire.
Go to Top of Page

learning_grsql
Posting Yak Master

230 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-12 : 02:36:06
Thanks robvolk.

Initially while installing sql server 2005, I just managed to install using default options.
So i don't know which account is built-in for sql server 2005 and I wonder how I can check it.

As far as I know I have never changed any windows login passwords.
Go to Top of Page

learning_grsql
Posting Yak Master

230 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-14 : 02:07:16
After restart again today I got the same problem. Today I had to change back the account to built-in account to make it work. The built-in account is "Local system" which I just found in "sql configuration manager:"

So it seems this problem occurs every time computer reboots. Is there any permanent solution for this?
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-14 : 12:10:10
have you since rebooted and it happens again?

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

learning_grsql
Posting Yak Master

230 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-14 : 12:59:20
yes it happens again and again but not on every reboot but most of the times(even today it happened). But I know the solution just play with user account and get back to previous account, it would work. It would be better if I'm able to find exact problem and sort out permanently though.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -