Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 High Availability (2008)
 uninstall default instance in the cluster

Author  Topic 

jpotucek
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

273 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-15 : 13:16:51
I have 2 Windows 2008 R2 Servers that are clustered.

I am installing sql server 2008 r2 sp2 cu2 in the CLuster.
This is what i have done so far:

Install SQL Server 2008 r2 sp2 cu2 (slipstream) - I ran through the entire install for the default on Active Node of the windows cluster Server. I know that the next step would be to run setup again from the passive node and choose 'add a node..) but I would actually like to uninstall what I have done and start again. I set the path to my data and log files to F:\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA and I would like change that so I thought the easiest way would be to uninstall/reinstall.

Do I just uninstall SQL Server from add\remove programs? or do I have to do something in the Cluster Administrator first to release the cluster resources????

Seems like I have several options, but I'm not sure which to take.

uninstall sql server from add\remove programs?
(not sure if this will release the cluster resources - eg the drives that have already been assigned to this instance)

Launch SQL Server setup - go to maintenance screen and do a remove Node?

Go into Failover Cluster Manager then click Nodes and delete the Sql server Instance then uninstall SQL Server??

so confusing!

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-15 : 14:08:07
Yeah, just uninstall, you don't need to do anything in Failover Cluster Manager.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

jpotucek
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

273 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-15 : 14:42:08
thank you. So eventhough I have 2 of the disks already assigned to this SQL Server Installation in the cluster, the act of uninstalling SQL Server will release those disks back to the cluster as available?
Go to Top of Page

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-15 : 16:06:18
It may keep them in the Group (Service/Application) in FCM, I can't remember, if you want it to go back into Available Storage, you can do that in FCM. Or you can just leave it there and reuse the group when you reinstall.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -