Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 To bcp out a table

Author  Topic 

arthiasha
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-17 : 01:27:34
Hi,
I need to do bcp out of a table which does not hold any data. i need to take the columns alone and store it as a .fmt file.

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\db>bcp temp out .\datafiles\temp.dat -S ACER-PC\SQLEXPRESS -U sa -P sa

i get the error as
SQLState = S0002, NativeError = 208
Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'temp'.

I'm able to do bcp for all other tables in the db with the same path but not for this table.
please help me

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-17 : 06:45:27
You don't need to have any data in the table to generate a format file. To generate a format file you need to specify the format keyword. So it should be something like this:
bcp YourDatabaseName.dbo.temp format nul -f .\datafiles\temp.dat -S ACER-PC\SQLEXPRESS -U sa -P sa
But, couple of things:

1. The above statement will generate the format file in plain text format. Usually I prefer XML - it is easier to read and edit.

2. I almost always also specify the -c option so I don't have to provide the format information for each column while running the bcp command.

So, I would prefer:
bcp YourDatabaseName.dbo.temp format nul -f .\datafiles\temp.dat -S ACER-PC\SQLEXPRESS -U sa -P sa -c -x  
Go to Top of Page

arthiasha
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-17 : 08:17:13
thank u so much it worked out
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -