SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Auto deleting credit card details in db backup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

francislodwick
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  09:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been working on a new database in SQL Server 2008 which is used by call-centre agents to make sales on various products. During the day, these agents will accept credit card details and store them temporarily before processing. At night, the database is backed up, but we can't backup the credit card details for obvious security reasons. At first I thought just to UPDATE the credit card fields to NULL before backing up using the standard BACKUP procedure, but it turns out that the details need to be kept in the original database, in case they haven't been processed that day. All the sensitive credit card details are contained in one column of one table.

Just to be clear, putting the sensitive tables in their own filegroup and then backing up filegroups selectively wouldn't work, because we want the data contained in the tables -- customer name, telephone etc. -- everything, that is, except the values of the credit card fields.

Currently the only idea I have is making a temporary copy of the whole database, updating the credit card fields to null in that, and then backing that copy up; but this is obviously not an ideal solution.

I have a feeling this should be straightforward, but I'm a newcomer (this week) to both databases and T-SQL, so any hints or directions would be much appreciated.

Edited by - francislodwick on 10/17/2012 09:19:37

webfred
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

Germany
8760 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  09:43:18  Show Profile  Visit webfred's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So you say it is ok to store that informationen in a table/column but then to take the backup isn't ok?
Ok, you've called it "store them temporarily", but does the time really matter?

Take a payment service provider and all the problems are gone...

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000