Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Evaluation expires

Author  Topic 

nikosie
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-02 : 13:07:07
Hi all, first post here.
So, i have an evaluation version of SQL Standard 2008 that expires soon, so I purchased a 2008 Enterprise key. I know that i can upgrade using this key but can anyone tell me if there's gonna be any issue with the existing databases? Will they be OK after the upgrade or am i going to have any problems?
Thanks

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-02 : 13:23:28
I don't know if there will be any problems or issues with the existing databases - but, I would expect that there would be none at all. HOWEVER, even if you get assurances that there will be no problems:

1. Take a backup of your databases.
2. Restore them on to a development server to make sure that you can restore. (You can't confidently say that you have a backup until you are able to successfully restore from the backup).
3. Keep the backup in a safe place where children cannot reach.

And then do your upgrade.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-02 : 19:00:36
"Keep the backup in a safe place where children cannot reach."

Hilarious!!! Kudos!

=================================================
We are far more concerned about the desecration of the flag than we are about the desecration of our land. -Wendell Berry
Go to Top of Page

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-02 : 20:31:13
quote:
Originally posted by sunitabeck

I don't know if there will be any problems or issues with the existing databases - but, I would expect that there would be none at all. HOWEVER, even if you get assurances that there will be no problems:

1. Take a backup of your databases.
2. Restore them on to a development server to make sure that you can restore. (You can't confidently say that you have a backup until you are able to successfully restore from the backup).
3. Keep the backup in a safe place where children cannot reach.

And then do your upgrade.

You should have no problems, but this is good advice. Always have a current and valid backup.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

nikosie
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-03 : 05:55:58
Many thanks for the replies guys. No worries about backups as i'm taking one daily. Just wanted to know if anyone faced any issues before when doing this. Will try it tomorrow *fingers crossed*
Go to Top of Page

nikosie
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-04 : 07:35:28
Success
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -