Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Help to improve the query with a loop

Author  Topic 

vpawa
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 07:13:58
Hi,

Im trying to loop my query but dont know how to do. can somebody help me to improve the query?

I have created the following query.

SELECT MEIT.client, MEIT.tree_type, 0 AS tree_level, MEIT.menu_id, MEIT.parent_menu_id, MEIT.menu_type,
MEIT.licence_ref, MEIT.icon_type, MEIT.title_nl, MEIT.title_en, MEIT.title_fr, MEIT.title_de,
CONVERT(NVARCHAR, RIGHT(N'0000' +
CONVERT(NVARCHAR, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY MEIT.client, MEIT.tree_type
ORDER BY CASE WHEN MEIT.menu_type = 5 THEN 5 WHEN MEIT.menu_type = 6 THEN 6 ELSE 1 END,
MEIT.sequence_no, MEIT.title_no)),4)) AS tree_sequence
FROM uvimenuitem MEIT
WHERE MEIT.parent_menu_id = N'!'
UNION ALL
SELECT MEIT.client, MEIT.tree_type, TREES.tree_level+1 AS tree_level, MEIT.menu_id, MEIT.parent_menu_id, MEIT.menu_type,
MEIT.licence_ref, MEIT.icon_type, MEIT.title_nl, MEIT.title_en, MEIT.title_fr, MEIT.title_de,
CONVERT(NVARCHAR, TREES.tree_sequence +
RIGHT(N'0000' +
ORDER BY CASE WHEN MEIT.menu_type = 5 THEN 5 WHEN MEIT.menu_type = 6 THEN 6 ELSE 1 END,
FROM uvimenuitem MEIT
INNER JOIN tree_structure TREES
ON TREES.client = MEIT.client
AND TREES.tree_type = MEIT.tree_type
AND TREES.menu_id = MEIT.parent_menu_id

now im trying to loop TREES.tree_level+1 10 times. does somebody knows how to get that withoud creating 10 view tables?

Thanks
Vishal

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 07:30:31
I didn't quite follow the logic you are trying to implement. You may need a recursive query if the results of each level is used to compute the results of the next level. The following can be used if you just want to run the same query ten times, but with n=1,2,..10
UNION ALL
SELECT MEIT.client,
MEIT.tree_type,
TREES.tree_level + n AS tree_level,
MEIT.menu_id,
FROM
(
VALUES (1) ,(2),(3),(4),(5),(6),(7),(8),(9),(10)
)s(n)
CROSS JOIN
(

uvimenuitem MEIT
)
Go to Top of Page

vpawa
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 07:59:13
I need it to compute the next tree level. I tought the most easy way is to loop the query, but im not getting the result what im looking for with the query. Do you hav a suggestion how to calulate the different levels?

thanks

quote:
Originally posted by sunitabeck

I didn't quite follow the logic you are trying to implement. You may need a recursive query if the results of each level is used to compute the results of the next level. The following can be used if you just want to run the same query ten times, but with n=1,2,..10
UNION ALL
SELECT MEIT.client,
MEIT.tree_type,
TREES.tree_level + n AS tree_level,
MEIT.menu_id,
FROM
(
VALUES (1) ,(2),(3),(4),(5),(6),(7),(8),(9),(10)
)s(n)
CROSS JOIN
(

uvimenuitem MEIT
)

Go to Top of Page

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 08:06:23
I must admit that I didn't follow the logic you are trying to implement. What I posted earlier was a wild guess, and I am not surprised it didn't work. Can you post a simplified version (with may be fewer columns) and some sample data that is in your input tables and the output you are trying to get?
Go to Top of Page

vpawa
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 08:29:42
Can i get your mailadress so i can send you some more information.

quote:
Originally posted by sunitabeck

I must admit that I didn't follow the logic you are trying to implement. What I posted earlier was a wild guess, and I am not surprised it didn't work. Can you post a simplified version (with may be fewer columns) and some sample data that is in your input tables and the output you are trying to get?

Go to Top of Page

karthik0805
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-06 : 02:41:59
DECLARE @A INT
SET @A=1

SELECT MEIT.client, MEIT.tree_type, 0 AS tree_level, MEIT.menu_id, MEIT.parent_menu_id, MEIT.menu_type,
FROM uvimenuitem MEIT
UNION ALL
WHILE @A<=10
BEGIN

SELECT MEIT.client, MEIT.tree_type, TREES.tree_level+@A AS tree_level, MEIT.menu_id, MEIT.parent_menu_id, MEIT.menu_type,
RIGHT(N'0000' +
FROM uvimenuitem MEIT
SET @A=@A+1
END
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Moden
Aged Yak Warrior

652 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-11 : 18:30:00
quote:
Originally posted by vpawa

Hi,

Im trying to loop my query but dont know how to do. can somebody help me to improve the query?

I have created the following query.

FROM uvimenuitem MEIT
UNION ALL
SELECT MEIT.client, MEIT.tree_type, TREES.tree_level+1 AS tree_level, MEIT.menu_id, MEIT.parent_menu_id, MEIT.menu_type,
RIGHT(N'0000' +
FROM uvimenuitem MEIT

now im trying to loop TREES.tree_level+1 10 times. does somebody knows how to get that withoud creating 10 view tables?

Thanks
Vishal

You probably need to use an rCTE (Recursive CTE) for this. Books Online explains how to use one. The following URL explains how to traverse a simple tree in an ordered fashion.
[url]http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/72503/[/url]

--Jeff Moden
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -