Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 How to make sure a database mdf and ldf files are

Author  Topic 

pras2007
Posting Yak Master

216 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 07:28:05
Hello All,

I want to make sure whenever a new database was created it will be stored in a directory I had specified… I thought the way to accomplish this task was to change where the mdf and the ldf files were stored on the Model database. By changing where the Model database stores its mdf and ldf file did not automatically stored the new database files to that directory. Does anyone know how to accomplish this task?

Thanks.

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 07:38:10
Right-click the server name in object explorer of SSMS, select properties, Database Settings tab and change default locations. If I am not mistaken, you will need to restart the server for the changes to take effect.
Go to Top of Page

pras2007
Posting Yak Master

216 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 07:53:30
Thanks Sunitabeck, changing the default location in the database setting accomplished the task. But restarting the server nor the services is not required for the changes to take effect. Thanks once again.
Go to Top of Page

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-05 : 09:03:39
Pras, thanks for the update. I must have gotten it confused with some other settings change that required a server restart.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -