Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Insert into Table-Valued-Parameter in an SP

Author  Topic 

token
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-06 : 08:16:16
I have declared a variable that has a table type as such:

DECLARE @MyTable GenderTableType

It has only one colum called 'Gender'.

I want to insert into the new table type paramter values but from within a stored procedure as such:

INSERT INTO @MyTable(Gender)
VALUES ('M'), ('F')

But I can't do this within a stored procedure because the in the declaration part it wants table type parameters to be READONLY. How do I go about inserting values from within a stored prodecure?

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-06 : 08:23:59
Why not use a temp table or just return the rowset and insert from the client

insert @MyTable (Gender)
exec mysp

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

token
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-06 : 08:56:21
A variable in SQL called @myString is being set as 'A, B, C, D' by the front-end application.

I then parse and split this string out and insert the individual characters into my @MyTable table type variable. This is used in another stored procedure that has a "SELECT * FROM SomeTable WHERE Column1 IN (SELECT <<values from table type variable>>)" statement.

I don't think I can do it with a TempTable?

Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-06 : 12:18:50
quote:
Originally posted by token

A variable in SQL called @myString is being set as 'A, B, C, D' by the front-end application.

I then parse and split this string out and insert the individual characters into my @MyTable table type variable. This is used in another stored procedure that has a "SELECT * FROM SomeTable WHERE Column1 IN (SELECT <<values from table type variable>>)" statement.

I don't think I can do it with a TempTable?

whats the need of intermediate procedure and table valued parameter here? why cant string be passed as is to second procedure and string parsing being done inline in it populating a temporary table as Fred suggested?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

token
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-06 : 17:21:21
You are right, the temp table solution was more elegant so I went for that instead. Thanks nigelrivett and visakh16
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-07 : 09:28:13
quote:
Originally posted by token

You are right, the temp table solution was more elegant so I went for that instead. Thanks nigelrivett and visakh16

No problem

you're welcome

Glad that you got it sorted out!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -