Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Need help with inserting a Case statement

Author  Topic 

tlk072107
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-06 : 12:35:03
I am relatively new to SQL but learning, I currently have a lengthy query which selects data from 6 different tables that have been joined as needed.

I have two more columns I need to add to my result, which I believe would employ a case statement but after some research on my own I have not found the answer.

I have a table which includes many columns, two of which are Location and ID. I need to add a statement that will put a column in my results, which would have the following:

1st colummn:

If there are more than one records found with the same Location/ID combination, return nothing..

If there is only one record found with the same Location/ID combination, return the Location value.

2nd column:

If there were more than one records found in the previous query, return the count of the number of records that met the criteria.

If it was only one found in the previous query, return nothing here.

Not sure how well I am outlining the requirement - but I have been reading up on case statements and this kind of scenario has still given me trouble....any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-06 : 13:38:16
I am assuming based on your explanation that you will only have one row returned per location/ID value. And if that is the case I also assume that you are GROUPing by Location and ID. If all that is true then perhaps something like this:

select location
,id
,case when count(*) = 1 then location else null end as Col1
,case when count(*) > 1 then count(*) else null end as Col2
from <yourTables>
group by location
,id

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

tlk072107
Starting Member