Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 How to overcome the slowness issue in MS SQL Serve

Author  Topic 

surjo.aagun
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-11-12 : 05:19:01
I am describing a scenario. I have developed a desktop software is for a data entry company using C# 2.0 and MSSQL Server 2008. This software has around 250 users. In the database, around 6,00,000 data are saved in a single day. Around 200 users enter data through this software whereas the rest 50 users checks the data already inserted. So, all the users are facing the slowness problem during their regular operation. In average 1 user requires 3 minutes to enter 40 lines of data. During the development, table partitioning concept was not applied. Now as the slowness issue rises to a burning stage, how could I solve the issue permanently? Any ideas, advice, guidelines are most appreciated.

Thank you,

Surjo.Aagun

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-12 : 06:52:12
How are you accessing the database? Via ad-hoc queries (in the C# code), or via stored procedures? In either case, run the query from SQL Server Management Studio and look at the execution plan to see what is taking up the time. (Press control-m in SSMS before you run the query).

With the information you have given, it is hard to say what is causing the slowness - it could be that the hardware is not sufficient, or that the database is not maintained properly, or it could be that the queries are inefficient, or any number of things in between. Try to narrow down the causes by running inserts for a single line as I described earlier.
Go to Top of Page

LoztInSpace
Aged Yak Warrior

940 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-13 : 01:15:14
Yeah I agree with Sunita. There's not nearly enough information to go on, nor are you likely to be able to resolve a complex question online.
Bite the bullet and hire a consultant for a couple of days to actually look at your setup.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -