Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 High Availability (2008)
 The msdtc and quorum on 2008 cluster

Author  Topic 

windbellca
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-15 : 11:11:14
Hi there:

I have 2 nodes Active/Passive cluster on Windows 2008 R2. MSDTC was configured as a clustered DTC. If everything is set up correctly, shall MSDTC Drive (M drive) and Quorum drive (R drive) be online on the source and the target server? Or they should be online on the source and offline on the target server?

what if I don't use distributed queries, can I ignore MSDTC part and the FAILOVER/FAILBACK still works?

Thanks,

Melissa

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-15 : 12:11:32
Think they are online on the active only.
Yes - you don't need to configure DTC - but I think that will impact some dev tools if you don't.

Are ou sure you want active passive - muli instance is just as easy, you just have to be careful that you don't you more than a full server of resources with the total.
Also make it easier to add another server and have more redundancy.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

windbellca
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-15 : 13:42:05
Thank you for the reply. Eventually, I will set up Active/Active. We have SQL 2008 standard Edition and that supports two nodes cluster only.
For now, it is Active/Passive. The source server is on production that was set up by somebody else, but I just found out the MSDTC CIDs are the same on the two nodes server. I am trying to fix the problem without rebooting the source server. So far, I have no luck. That's why I am thinking to ignore MSDTC part.

You mentioned multi instances, do you mean multiple instances on one node or on multiple nodes? Can I setup multiple instances on one node and not useing more than a full server of resourses with the total. Sorry, I am new to the Windows cluster.

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -