Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Combining COUNT(*) features

Author  Topic 

sqlconfused
Yak Posting Veteran

50 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-19 : 11:58:58
Hi.

I am trying to list the top 10 members that have uploaded the most locations to my site.

Currently I am using this string:

SELECT top 10 creator, COUNT(*) AS Totals from sites GROUP BY creator ORDER BY Totals DESC

This retrieves the top 10 records from the database of locations - where 'creator' is the username and then "Totals" is retrieved via count(*). The results are grouped by the members names and sorted from highest count to lowest.

I then loop through until end of recordset and print out the creator and the associated total for that creator.

Eg: Joe - 45 locations, Tom - 40 locations, Bob - 22 locations.

I would like to add a second feature which would indicate how many photo galleries the creator has made. This is currently done using this query:

SELECT COUNT(*) as ID from galleryindex where gcreator = '" & creator & "'"

So what I am doing is as I loop through the top 10, I perform a secondary query where the creator (member's name) is counted from the galleryindex table.

Is there a way to combine:

SELECT top 10 creator, COUNT(*) AS Totals from sites GROUP BY creator ORDER BY Totals DESC

and

SELECT COUNT(*) as ID from galleryindex where gcreator = '" & creator & "'"

Thank you.

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-19 : 12:09:31
One way:
SELECT
a.creator,
a.Totals,
COALESCE(b.ID,0) AS ID
FROM
(
) a
OUTER APPLY
(
SELECT COUNT(*) AS ID FROM galleryindex b
WHERE b.gcreator = a.creator
) b
Go to Top of Page

sqlconfused
Yak Posting Veteran

50 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-19 : 12:36:41
Thank you. I have no idea what COALESCE does (will Google it after) but it worked perfect.
Go to Top of Page

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-19 : 12:47:37
COALESCE returns first non-null value from the parameters. I added that only to show ID as zero rather than null if there were no galleries for a creator.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -