Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 upsizing Access to MS Sql

Author  Topic 

jmfamp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-23 : 17:20:36
I don't know where I should post...here or the other newbie forum.

I need to upsize an Access Database. I want to use the upsize wizard and need to set up my local environment for a few dry runs.

I downloaded SQL Server Management Studio Express. I created a new empty database. I go to the upsize wizard in MS Access...it tells me to choose a datasource...need to set one up so, get to the last step, where I get an error.

I have tried this a bunch of different ways and can't seem to get this to work. I have attached a screen shot with the various wizards/dialogs/error message spread out so you can see what I am talking about.

Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

That's funny...can't even attach an image, not my7 day. Here's a link: www.availdata.com/screenshot.html

Thanks

bitsmed
Aged Yak Warrior

545 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-24 : 07:40:02
Error says:
An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.

Have you checked this?
Go to Top of Page

jmfamp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-24 : 12:06:51
Yes, I did check that. It was set to allow remote connections. I was able to add a new database, and see it in the drop down list, but that was as far as I got. At first, it was not showing in the drop down list, but was a running process. Did get it to be a choice in the 'Add Datasource' available database drop down but then got the error.

Went to the database and clicked on Properties and it said remote connections were allowed.

Sort of stuck.
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth B. Darcy
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-24 : 12:22:27
Can you verify the following?

1. The server name that you are providing is of the form COMPUTERNAME\SqlExpress. Assuming that the server is installed on the same box, you can use (local)\SqlExpress. Be sure to have the word local in brackets.

2. Verify that SQL Server is up and running. You can do this from services.msc (Start -> Run -> Services.msc) You should see something like Sql Server (SQLEXPRESS) and it must be running.

3. Launch SQL Server Management studio and connect to the SQL Server instance. Again, be sure to use (local)\SqlExpress for the server name.

4. If you are able to connect to the server instance (whether using windows authentication or SQL authentication), use exactly the same credentials to connect while upsizing.

jmfamp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-24 : 13:51:39
Thanks for the suggestions...followed as best I could, all seems well. I went step by step with screenshots here: www.availdata.com/screenshots.html

Hoping someone might follow along and see where I am screwing up...

Thanks

Mark

Go to Top of Page

jmfamp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-24 : 13:54:12
Arghhh...

Wrong Url...use this: www.availdata.com/screenshot.html
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-24 : 14:25:04
Just a thought How about you use export/Import Wizard or SSIS to export objects from Access to SQL Server? I am not sure about Express Edition.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -