Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 SQL PROBLEM

Author  Topic 

chamin
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-23 : 23:45:48
We have used a single PC for several requirements due to limited financial ability. It had Windows 2003 Server SP2 as OS and we used both ISA 2004 (latest SP) & SQL Server 2000 SP3 on it. Recently we've managed to get another new PC to install SQL Server to run alone & uninstalled the SQL Server from that old PC. New PC is all OK now, but after complete uninstallation and several reboots even, SQL Server on the old PC is still using lot of system memory, approx 1.2GB. How can we remove unnecessary SQL instances from that old PC and free up the memory?

Thanks

waterduck
Aged Yak Warrior

982 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-24 : 01:34:35
stop it from SQL Server configuration manager?
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth B. Darcy
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-24 : 08:43:53
If you uninstalled SQL Server and rebooted, then there is no opportunity for it to be running and consuming memory. So I dare say that the uninstall was either not complete or not successful.

Perhaps you have more than one instance of SQL Server installed on the box? You can do the following to find out: Start -> Run -> services.msc, then look for anything whose name starts with SQL. If you see instances of SQL Server, SQL Server Express etc. running, stop them and uninstall those pieces. If you are unable to uninstall, at least change the start mode to manual in services.msc

chamin
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-02 : 22:25:57
Already ISA Server 2003 running on this machine. Few instances of Sql server are needed to ISA Server 2003. But instances exceed the total memory expected.
We are installed ISA server 2003 to another machine and it is not taking more memory. Sql server 2000 is not installed on that machine.

Problem appears after Installed and Unistalled Sql server 2000.
Please Help me to settle this. Any problem ask me you not understand.

Please anyone help me.........
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-24 : 10:19:16
SQL Server is memory hog. It takes memory available. As mentioned before Stop all SQL Services for the instance which you don't need. If you need to limit memory then you can put max memory on server configuration.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -