Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Things to consider when applying hot fix to produ

Author  Topic 

raj vardhan43
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-26 : 14:45:54
Hi All,

We are currently using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64) Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) as our production dataware house database.
I need to apply hot-fix/securitypatch version 10.50.2550.0 to our production dataware house.

Can any body please tell me can i directly apply this hotfix to production server ??

I am new to database admin domain.

If i can directly apply the hot fix to production server then what are the precautionary steps that i have to take.

Shall i have to restart the production server compulsorily during off-peak hours ??

Note: 1) I took the full backup of production database(.bak) , msdb database (msdb.bak), ssas cube databases (.abf), report server (ReportServer.bak) ,ReportServerTempDB.bak, Encryption key backup.

2) I had disabled microsoft automatic security updates.

raj

srimami
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-27 : 04:29:57
As you have already taken backup, nothing to worry on data. Also, make sure you apply this patch when no user is firing any queries e.g. like you said, off peak hours. Yes, it needs a restart once the patch is applied.
Go to Top of Page

raj vardhan43
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-27 : 19:02:05
Thank you!!

raj
Go to Top of Page

donpolix
Yak Posting Veteran

97 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-01 : 16:45:24
Do you have other non-production sql server that has the same build as your production, you can at least test first before deploying/implementing to your production.

Donn Policarpio
Go to Top of Page

raj vardhan43
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-03 : 14:43:04
Hi Donn, Thanks for the response!!

We have a non-production server and this update was automatically applied to it. so, it indirectly means that we had tested it on non production server.

quote:
Originally posted by donpolix

Do you have other non-production sql server that has the same build as your production, you can at least test first before deploying/implementing to your production.

Donn Policarpio

raj
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -