Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Issue inserting records based on a calculation

Author  Topic 

jim_jim
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

306 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-27 : 11:18:52
Hi All
I have been using the below sql to insert n number of records into a table(Renoffcyc).I derive n based on subtracting two datetime feilds in a table. For each record inserted into the Renoffcyc table i have to increment the requestid in a table called table_keys.We do this because we have differant web forms which fetch the enxt requestid from this table_keys table.

I dont know why but sometimes the SQL works perfect and sometimes i get an error and unable to understand why this might be happening

Msg 2627, Level 14, State 1, Line 42
Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK__RENOFFCYC__464936E5'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.renoffcyc'.
The statement has been terminated.

SQL

SET NOCOUNT ON

GO

--declare @reqno int
--set @reqno = 231675
declare @num_of_times int
declare @count int
declare @frequency varchar(10)
declare @num_of_times1 int

DECLARE @oldrequestid varchar(50),@newrequestid varchar(50)

DECLARE db_cursor CURSOR FOR
SELECT Requestid from report_request where requestid in (149142)

OPEN db_cursor
FETCH NEXT FROM db_cursor INTO @oldrequestid

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
BEGIN

--do work here

SET @num_of_times = NULL
select @num_of_times=datediff(month, receiveddate,expirationdate) from report_request where requestid in (@oldrequestid)
SET @num_of_times1 = @num_of_times+1

set @count=0
WHILE @count < @num_of_times1
BEGIN

update table_keys
set key_id = key_id + 1
where table_name = 'adhoc'

Select @newrequestid = key_id from table_keys where table_name = 'adhoc'

INSERT INTO [UnderWriting].[dbo].[renoffcyc]
([roc_id]
,[roc_ind]
,[fundtype]
,[prodmth]
,[opa_id]
,[hlthplnid]
,[targetdt]
,[actualdt]
,[freqcd]
,[Comments]
,[entereddt]
,[pltfrmind]
,[groupcnt]
,[rptdesc]
,[rptrsrcetxt]
,[tat]
,[mktsgnm]
,[date_available]
,[requestorid]
,[groupname]
,[groupnbr]
,[tool]
,[datarecpdet]
,[HRS]
,[mins]
,[busneed]
,[origrequestid]
)

SELECT @newrequestid
,'O'
,RR.fundingtype
,convert(varchar(30),DATEADD (month , @count+1 ,RR.Receiveddate))
,SR.Assignto
,RR.hlthplnid

,RR.defineschedule
,RR.rptcomments
,SR.pltfmcd
,SR.groupcnt
,SR.rptdesc
,SR.resource
,SR.tat
,mktsg
,RR.requestor
,RR.CTNAME
,RR.MSGN
,SR.tool
,SR.datarecpdet
,SR.hrs
,SR.mins
,RR.busneed
,@oldrequestid

FROM [UnderWriting].[dbo].[REPORT_REQUEST] RR FULL OUTER JOIN SELECTED_REPORT SR
ON RR.requestid = SR.requestid
where RR.requestid = @oldrequestid

set @count=@count+1
END

FETCH NEXT FROM db_cursor INTO @oldrequestid
END -- Cursor loop
CLOSE db_cursor
DEALLOCATE db_cursor

Example
I feed a requestid and i know that there will be 13 records that need to be inserted into the renoffcyc table.when i run the query i see that the requestid is incremented 13 times in the table_keys table but it failed with the above error

Need help on this please

thanks

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-27 : 11:46:00
At a minimum, you'll want to put a transaction around the table_keys update/select statements.

=================================================
We are far more concerned about the desecration of the flag than we are about the desecration of our land. -Wendell Berry
Go to Top of Page

jim_jim

306 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-27 : 12:57:43
but will that fix the issue on why it is erroring out inserting records into the table
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool

1834 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-27 : 14:56:30
It sounds to me that another process is trying to insert records into the table. There is a window of (bad) opportunity when both processes are accessing the table_keys table and they end up retreiving the same value. The transaction would act to serialize the two processes so that the first would update and select before the second could gain access to the table/row.

We are far more concerned about the desecration of the flag than we are about the desecration of our land. -Wendell Berry
Go to Top of Page

jim_jim

306 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-28 : 11:58:53
I have been using this in my local development environment and sure that no porcess other than this are using to update the requestid

Iam at a loss on this now

quote:
Originally posted by Bustaz Kool

It sounds to me that another process is trying to insert records into the table. There is a window of (bad) opportunity when both processes are accessing the table_keys table and they end up retreiving the same value. The transaction would act to serialize the two processes so that the first would update and select before the second could gain access to the table/row.

Go to Top of Page

Lamprey

4614 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-28 : 12:15:54
What is the definition of the PK (PK__RENOFFCYC__464936E5)?
Go to Top of Page

jim_jim

306 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-28 : 14:13:16
PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
[roc_id] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, FILLFACTOR = 90) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

quote:
Originally posted by Lamprey

What is the definition of the PK (PK__RENOFFCYC__464936E5)?

Go to Top of Page

Lamprey

4614 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-28 : 16:26:41
Well you are doing a FULL OUTER JOIN which, apparently, is producing more than one row. I don't know how you would determine which row your are interested in. But, if you don't care which one, then you could just add a TOP 1 clause to the SELECT. Otherwise, you'll have to figure out how rank the rows and only use one or change the logic so you can insert multiple rows.
Go to Top of Page

jim_jim

306 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-04 : 14:39:01
Thanks the outer join was the issue as there were few requests where i was getting multiple records from SELECTED_REPORT table

how do i change this logic such that if there are multiple records for a request in SELECTED_REPORT table then i need to insert n(is a calculated feild in my logic) number of records for each record in SELECTED_REPORT table. rptdesc is the key name in selected_report table

so for example
n =10
number of records in selected_report table = 2

total number of records that need to be inserted are (n+1)*2 = 22

thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Lamprey

Well you are doing a FULL OUTER JOIN which, apparently, is producing more than one row. I don't know how you would determine which row your are interested in. But, if you don't care which one, then you could just add a TOP 1 clause to the SELECT. Otherwise, you'll have to figure out how rank the rows and only use one or change the logic so you can insert multiple rows.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -