Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Need help on data transfer from one server to anot

Author  Topic 

sqln
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-28 : 23:25:28
Hi,

I have a requirement to send data from my database to another databse which is in different server. I want to do it using trigger. Can you please guide me how to do this. In case there is any other better method available then please let me know.

Regards

senthil_nagore
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1007 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-29 : 00:18:19
Read about High Availability in BOL

Senthil Kumar C
------------------------------------------------------
MCITP - Database Administration SQL SERVER 2008
MCTS - Database Development SQL SERVER 2008
Go to Top of Page

srimami
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-29 : 01:05:14
If both servers are on same domain, you can use linked server and write select into statement or use Import/Export wizard.
Go to Top of Page

sqln
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-29 : 01:29:09
I did not get any useful Info from searching High Availability in BOL. I just want to know if its technically possible in SQL server 2008 to transfer data from database in one server to database in another server. I have a table in Server A and I want to write a trigger on the table to update the data in a table in server B. How can i do it using triggers or do I need to use some other method.
Go to Top of Page

sqln
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-29 : 01:31:51
I want the update to happen in server 2 whenever there is update in table in first server. So I cant use import export. Can I use linked server inside trigger?
Go to Top of Page

senthil_nagore
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1007 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-29 : 01:41:08
quote:
Originally posted by sqln

I want the update to happen in server 2 whenever there is update in table in first server. So I cant use import export. Can I use linked server inside trigger?

You are confusing...

You want to use trigger go ahead.

If you are going to transfer the Whole Database (All table) Go for Database Mirrioring.

If you want specific table/specific column in a table go for Replication.

Senthil Kumar C
------------------------------------------------------
MCITP - Database Administration SQL SERVER 2008
MCTS - Database Development SQL SERVER 2008
Go to Top of Page

sqln
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2012-11-29 : 02:30:19
Senthil, I have requirement to update only 1 table from server 1 to server 2. Update in server 2 should happen when there is update in server 1 table. Now how do I access the table in server 2 database inside the trigger. Will replication solve this?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -