Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Database Design Help

Author  Topic 

pittfall
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-03 : 16:17:59
I am trying to dynamically build a form with a label (field) and a user entered value (fieldValue) but the form can have several different control, like a combobox, textbox, listbox, checkbox, etc.... The fields are pre-set and I am trying to store the value for each field and link that value to a field.

Here is my schema right now

Page
* PageId

Field
* FieldId
* FiledTypeId
* FieldName

FieldType
* FieldTypeId
* FieldTypeName (Combobox, Textbox, etc...)

FieldValue
* FieldValueId
* FieldId
* PageId
* FieldValueValue
* CurrentValue (This is a bit because a combobox could have multiple values but I wanna show which one is selected. Similarly, a listbox could have multiple values selected, a textbox would not have any values selected.)

The problem with my design is that every time I have a form using the same fields, I have to add all of the items in the combobox again as it is a new field, specific to a new page AND when I create a new page how will it know that "these" values belong to a combobox, for example. I've thought of having a 0 to many table to keep track of comboboxes and things with multiple values and then my field value table will only hold one value per field and the CurrentValue column will be gone but I'm not 100% sure if this is correct.

Any suggestions?

- Advertisement -