SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Database Design Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pittfall
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  16:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to dynamically build a form with a label (field) and a user entered value (fieldValue) but the form can have several different control, like a combobox, textbox, listbox, checkbox, etc.... The fields are pre-set and I am trying to store the value for each field and link that value to a field.

Here is my schema right now

Page
* PageId

Field
* FieldId
* FiledTypeId
* FieldName

FieldType
* FieldTypeId
* FieldTypeName (Combobox, Textbox, etc...)

FieldValue
* FieldValueId
* FieldId
* PageId
* FieldValueValue
* CurrentValue (This is a bit because a combobox could have multiple values but I wanna show which one is selected. Similarly, a listbox could have multiple values selected, a textbox would not have any values selected.)

The problem with my design is that every time I have a form using the same fields, I have to add all of the items in the combobox again as it is a new field, specific to a new page AND when I create a new page how will it know that "these" values belong to a combobox, for example. I've thought of having a 0 to many table to keep track of comboboxes and things with multiple values and then my field value table will only hold one value per field and the CurrentValue column will be gone but I'm not 100% sure if this is correct.

Any suggestions?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000