Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 SQL Query creating blockages and freezing the runn

Author  Topic 

vinayu123
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-05 : 01:52:54
HI, I have some query which run daily in Scheduled task, and there is a script which extract heavy data from another server, it takes aroung 3Hrs to extract whole data, it works fine for some days, and some days data will not load upon checking in Enterprise mangaer current jobs i can see some blockages created, the scheduled job will be in running mode but there will not be any transaction will be happeining, Please help us in resolving this issue, we are using SQL Query analyser which is 2000. Since it a business critical help us as soon as possible, Appreciate your quick responce

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-05 : 04:58:17
If it is being blocked you should be able to see the blocking spid and what it is doing.
Could be that someone has left a transaction open.

You can use dbcc inputbuffer to view the instruction.
This SP will do it all for you - show what is happening on the server and any blocking commands.
http://www.nigelrivett.net/SQLAdmin/sp_nrInfo.html

You should also look at doing something about the extract - 3 hours is probably going to cause problems.
I would at least do it in increments and probably via files rather than directly into a table. Copy to a file locally on the server, copy the file then import.
==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

vinayu123
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-05 : 10:24:50
Thanks for looking into the issue i will follow the instruction said below, and let you know the result, thanks and appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-05 : 11:21:12
What time are you running this job?
Go to Top of Page

Lamprey

4614 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-05 : 12:00:03
Are you using linked servers? If so, are you joining across the linked server or are you just selecting from the linked server?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -