Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 SQL Profiler Question.

Author  Topic 

A_dil88
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-05 : 17:48:31
Hi Guys,

Need Expert Openion.

I am running SQL Server Profiler (I am running because "Our user keep complaning application is running slow" so my first
step,run SQL Server Profiler.
Please correct me if i am wrong...
Here i am checking which SP or query duration time is big Numbers. I pick one SP that has 223 Duration. I ran same
SP in SSMS and execution is 0:00:00.

My question is should i worry about this store procedure?

2) Question:- Is it possible SP is running fine but .Net Programing is bad that's why application is slow?
If yes is there any way i can Prove it SP is fine check .net Page?

Thanks for advise.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-05 : 18:11:17
Profiler is showing duration in milliseconds, so yes 223 milliseconds is less than one second.

Should you worry? Depends on what your performance requirements are.

Yes it's possible for the SP to run in SSMS but not fine from the application. Different connection parameters as well as how it's called can affect the execution plan.

You can duplicate what the code is doing by grabbing its connection parameters (you can get that in Profiler via the existing connections) and then grabbing the exact call (probably RPC:Completed). Now take the connection parameters and put them into an SSMS window and then add on the stored procedure call. See what you get regarding duration and execution plan.

You can also view the app's execution plan in Profiler.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

A_dil88
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-05 : 18:21:14
Thanks for explaning in detail.

I am not very good in SQL Profile area.
Could you please through some light on "app's execution plan in profiler is"?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -