Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 SQL server 2008 Backup Restoring Error

Author  Topic 

sridharsridhar
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-06 : 04:18:12
I have taken database (Database Name hyperionepm) backup from SQL server 2008 and when i am trying to restore the backup to the other database (Database name FDM_MIGRATION) in the same SQL Server 2008. it showing error for backup i have used this path right clicking Database (hyperionepm) -Tasks - Backup . and i have tryed to restore by right click on Database (FDM_Migration)- Tasks - for Restore Option this is the way i have taken backup and tryed to restore. it showing error as below can anyone tell the way to restore backup

Restore failed for server’ HYPERIONEPM’,(Microsoft .SqlServer.SmoExtended)

**Additional Information
System.Data.SqlClient.SQlError:Thefile’C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\hyperionepm.mdf’cannot be overwritten.It is
Being used by database ‘hyperionepm’.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)**

sridhar

johnson_ef
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-12 : 03:28:18
Hi Sridhar,

This error is coming because, you are using same path to restore db with different name. Though the name of the DB is different, the data,log files are same.

You can do, either, change the destination path (in this case ’C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\FDM_MIGRATION\ ) so SQL will not find an existing file there
or
while restoring, change the data and log file name '\hyperionepm.mdf' to 'FDM_MIGRATION_data.mdf'

I would prefer the second method, because, this will avoid confusion later, which files are belongs to which Database.
-Johnson
Go to Top of Page

sridharsridhar
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-17 : 07:00:14
Thanks a lot Johnson

sridhar
Go to Top of Page

sridharsridhar
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-09 : 00:59:50
Hi All,

Can you tell me how to restore the Database backup of SQL server 2005 to SQL server 2008.

sridhar
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -