Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Allocated too much memory

Author  Topic 

sqlteam_nas
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-08 : 23:51:42
I have 8 sql instances running on a virtual server, sharing 90GB among them (with Min/Max for each set).

I am pretty sure that they don't need all this memory and am trying to back this up with some evidence to release some memory from this server. I used perfmon to monitor the "Target Server Memory, Total Server Memory and Buffer cache hit ratio". I am seeing Target server memory close to the Total Memory and a hit ratio very close to 100%. However, since SQL Server will consume as much as it given with, these numbers may not mean much.

Is there any way to determine (any counters) that there is more than enough memory allocated to these instances?

Thanks

-SS

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-09 : 08:08:36
Page Life Expectancy and Buffer Cache Hit Ratio under Buffer Manager in Perfmon are good one to look at. Page Life Expectancy below 300, and Buffer Cache Hit Ratio less than 98% are indications of memory pressure on the Server.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-09 : 11:04:24
I would look
Page Life Expectancy
Buffer Manager/Page Reads/sec
Physical Disk/Disk reads/sec.

If the PLE is good enough and there is not high pressure on fetching data from disks(disk reads is less), you can set min or max based on it but needs to do detailed analysis before we change it.
Go to Top of Page

sqlteam_nas
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-10 : 12:26:08
Thanks for the help. I will go ahead and monitor these counters.

-SS
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -