Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Remote Access for SQL Server

Author  Topic 

MarkJ
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-09 : 05:22:13
I have been seaching the web, but I think I am lacking some basic knowledge \ terminology.

My background
I have worked with Access databases for a long time and have delevoped a number of quite complex database application using VBA.

The project
The project I am currently working on will need to hold a great deal more records and have quite a high level of complexity. Therefore I thought this may require me to get out of my comfort zone and get some sql server experience. The project is kind of a CRM system, the company have looked at a number but because of the nature of our business I can see the out of the box experience any of these will be poor and require a lot of tailoring and customisation.It subsequenty has struck me that we may as well start from scratch and build this sucker from the ground up.

The (first) problem
I have set up some tables and relationships inside a test environment I can use ODBC to connect an access front end to get me back to familier ground but what I have no experience of is how I can give remote users access to the data. By remote users I mean both users on the WAN and by accessing via the internet, via a web interfacce or something similar. I don't what to be spoon feed the info but if anyone could suggest a few avenues that I could investigate I would be most greatful.

Many thanks in advance

MJP

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-09 : 11:26:44
If I understand you question , you can create SQL Authentication user with limited privileges so that users can connect using this credentials.
Go to Top of Page

MarkJ
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-09 : 14:00:24
Many thanks for the Reply Sodeep

What you say may well form part of my solution - But What I'm really looking for is a steer towards what would be my best option to allow my users to get remote access from either the WAN or from over the internet. For instance can ODBC be used remotely, I've only ever used it across the LAN. Or would I be better writing a web front end? Or is there some other option?

Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-09 : 14:24:09

OK. do this

Goto SQL Server Configuration,Enable SQL Server Browser
Enable Remote connection
Enable TCP/IP,change TCP Port to 1433 if not
Allow Firewall for SQL Server.
Make Sure DTC Setting is enabled
Put the correct connection string