Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Change data type of populated column?

Author  Topic 

jun0
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-14 : 09:28:22
Firstly my apologies, as I also posted this in the SQL Server 2008 admin section, but I think it probably belongs here as hopefully its not too complex a thing to want to do:

is it possible to change the data type of a column of a table which contains data (quite a lot of data).

If this is possible, what is the best way to do it. Its pretty urgent and I'm looking for the quickest and simplest way.

Thank you!

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-14 : 09:42:51
Depends on how much data and whether you can afford downtime.

Copy into another table then rename is probably best?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool

1834 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-14 : 19:28:33
What are the original and desired datatypes? Will EVERY row of the existing data be legal in the new datatype? If the new datatype is smaller than the original, can you tolerate truncation?

=================================================
Hear the sledges with the bells - silver bells!
What a world of merriment their melody foretells!
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-15 : 12:37:07
also need to check validity of data against new datatype and see if there are any values which cant be converted to new datatype

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

jackv

2179 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-16 : 02:06:05
Create a new column with the new data type. Move data from the old column into the new column.Once you've reconciled the columns - checked for conversion errors etc, rename the old one , name the new oneto the originl name.

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

jun0
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-16 : 07:33:35
if I add a new column to the table with the desired datatype and move the data to that, then drop the original column, I think this might do it thanks.

I will try this, but how do you move an entire columns data to another column and make sure that the data goes into the same rows it was before? I guess this will just happen anyway and isn't anything to worry about... but just wanted to make sure

Whats the SQL to move all of the data in one column to a new column, the table is millions of rows in size, will this take a long time to complete?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

sunitabeck

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-16 : 07:45:44
The code for what Jack suggested is as follows:
ALTER TABLE YourTableName ADD TheNewColumn INT;

UPDATE YourTableName SET TheNewColumn = CAST(YourVarcharColumn AS INT);
Run the two statements separately. Also, test in a dev environment.

Couple of things I want to mention about the approach Jack suggested is that the ordinal position of the column would change when you are done. Good programmers should not rely on the ordinal position of the columns in their select statements or other client applications, but not everyone is a good programmer (present company excepted, of course).

The other thing you may want to look up is whether your existing column is a foreign key. If it is, again you need to make similar changes there as well. That needs to be carefully planned and carried out, if that is required.
Go to Top of Page

jackv

2179 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-17 : 01:46:23
Agreed with comment on ordinal position. Normally , you'd do something like : SELECT col1, col2, which gets around any problems for ordinal position.

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

gtopawb
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-27 : 02:15:14
unspammed
Go to Top of Page

jun0
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-03 : 09:31:44
How can I change the data type of the column using the alter table statement, without using the CAST? as apparently this will take too no long/cause too much lag considering I have millions of rows in my table.

Is there another way to do this, relatively simple, using the alter table statement, or indeed, any statment?

What would be the best way, I have got to the point where there are no non numeric values in the column, I'm ready to convert the data type.

Thanks guys :)
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-03 : 11:06:50
why do you need CAST in ALTER table?

you just need this

ALTER TABLE <Table Name> ALTER COLUMN <ColumnName> <NewDatatype> NULL/NOTNULL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -