Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2008)
 help moving data in database

Author  Topic 

jobimathew4
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-04 : 14:30:09
I am new to this forum and therefore not sure if this is the correct spot to post this question. If someone knows a different location or the problem resolved already let me know.

Currently we have an SQL server 2005 at a customer site that is actively collecting data. We use this data to create reports along with other analysis. I cannot access this data so I run a script that copies all the data between a given timeline and create a backup database then I have the customers send me the backup. I don't ask them to send me the whole backup since it gets too big and time consuming to move.

So over the past few months I have created a full backup with these partial backups by inserting data into the full database. This has been time consuming and inefficient as the log files just get huge and now I am left with log files to clean.

How do i get a partial database from the customer and create a full backup by appending to the existing full database. It would be great if the full database didn't have any duplicate rows. I have tried to use 'restore' without any success. It seems that will only works if the database backup was created partially in the first place. Let me know if any of it doesn't make sense and I will try better.

Jmathew

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-04 : 20:17:36
if you want just differences to be applied you can take differential backup and apply it to your copy so that all changes from last full backup gets applied

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -