Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Use Merge function but don't insert

Author  Topic 

jamesbrummel
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-08 : 13:20:18
I'd like to use MERGE to get a list of non-matched records, but I don't want to insert them into the target table.

I can use OUTPUT to insert the non matches to a @table, but can't seem to prevent MERGE from INSERTING, I don't want to take any action other than to insert non matches into @table.

Thanks!!!

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-08 : 13:33:18
then you should insert non matches into @table without merge and that output stuff...

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

jamesbrummel
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-08 : 14:17:28
I am trying to use the comparison that occurs in the MERGE function
under the assumption it will be faster than a field by field comparison of each row which I can code. My experience has been that built in SQL functions are much faster than anything I can code.

Is this not the case here,maybe? I would assume this would be common practice if there is a substantial performance gain over a proc.
Go to Top of Page

Lamprey
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4614 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-08 : 15:38:40
I'm not following your logic; a Merge statement still requires you to do the comparison of the columns you want to evaluate equality/inequality against (unless you did a checksum comparison or something). Additionally, a Merge statement can be used by itself (ad-hoc) or in a procedure. So, comparing it to a stored procedure doesn't really have any meaning.
Go to Top of Page

jamesbrummel
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-10 : 11:40:35
ahh, I think I see what you mean. In the MERGE I have to explicitly state ON colA=ColB, colC=ColD, etc.
essentially doing a bunch of JOINS on cols I list in the ON clause. I foolishly thought there was some more sophisticated comparing going on in the background based on the selection of fields in the USING clause. Nuts.

I haven't used it much, thought it might be faster than JOINS or UNION for comparing fields. I have a hunch it aint, it just looks like a gussied up JOIN, at least as far as comparing cols.

Thanks!

Most people who drown do so in chest deep water.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -