SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 How can I convert an sql file to be viewed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thebutcher7
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  13:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, brand new here and glad to be here. I have been working on the graphics end and know basic HTML and have interest to better my understanding of databases, queiys and such.

I have many questions, but one that I have been trying to figure out is this one. I have an sql file from one of my sites dating back about 5 years and I need to extract the users to a viewable file so that a common person could see. A PDF file is preferable but an excel would also work or even a word document. The users to my site chooses a username and password and then supplys their email. I am just trying to get this in an viewable output file rather then "notepad" which I can only see right now.

So I guess the main thing is, what Free program can I use to extract this information from an SQL file taken from my site? I know I probably need to get more info for you as I will monitor this.

Many Thanks

PS when I used to work for a database company 10 years ago I knew I should of taken advantage of the free education to learn mysql :)

sunitabeck
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

5155 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  13:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are using MySQL, another forum such as dbforums.com may be more appropriate - this forum is exclusively for Microsoft SQL Server.

If you are using Microsoft SQL Server, you can use the Import/Export Wizard (right-click on the database name in object explorer in SSMS and select Tasks -> Export data). You can export to an Excel file using the Import/Export Wizard.
Go to Top of Page

thebutcher7
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  13:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, I will check that and also look at the other forum.

:)
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Moden
Aged Yak Warrior

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  21:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many people frown on it but I do this type of stuff all the time directly in T-SQL. You can easily use FOR XML PATH in T-SQL to produce the necessary HTML output to display grid. Then, the user could just copy and paste... even into EXCEL. Let us know if you're interested and I should be able to pony up a demo fairly quickly.

--Jeff Moden
RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row By Agonizing Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
"Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

When writing schedules, keep the following in mind:
"If you want it real bad, that's the way you'll likely get it."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000