Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 How can I convert an sql file to be viewed

Author  Topic 

thebutcher7
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-09 : 13:38:23
Hello all, brand new here and glad to be here. I have been working on the graphics end and know basic HTML and have interest to better my understanding of databases, queiys and such.

I have many questions, but one that I have been trying to figure out is this one. I have an sql file from one of my sites dating back about 5 years and I need to extract the users to a viewable file so that a common person could see. A PDF file is preferable but an excel would also work or even a word document. The users to my site chooses a username and password and then supplys their email. I am just trying to get this in an viewable output file rather then "notepad" which I can only see right now.

So I guess the main thing is, what Free program can I use to extract this information from an SQL file taken from my site? I know I probably need to get more info for you as I will monitor this.

Many Thanks

PS when I used to work for a database company 10 years ago I knew I should of taken advantage of the free education to learn mysql :)

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-09 : 13:45:56
If you are using MySQL, another forum such as dbforums.com may be more appropriate - this forum is exclusively for Microsoft SQL Server.

If you are using Microsoft SQL Server, you can use the Import/Export Wizard (right-click on the database name in object explorer in SSMS and select Tasks -> Export data). You can export to an Excel file using the Import/Export Wizard.
Go to Top of Page

thebutcher7
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-09 : 13:52:52
Thanks for the info, I will check that and also look at the other forum.

:)
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Moden
Aged Yak Warrior

652 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-09 : 21:32:45
Many people frown on it but I do this type of stuff all the time directly in T-SQL. You can easily use FOR XML PATH in T-SQL to produce the necessary HTML output to display grid. Then, the user could just copy and paste... even into EXCEL. Let us know if you're interested and I should be able to pony up a demo fairly quickly.

--Jeff Moden
RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row By Agonizing Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
"Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

When writing schedules, keep the following in mind:
"If you want it real bad, that's the way you'll likely get it."
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -