Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Split Address with horrible data

Author  Topic 

cstokes91
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-10 : 13:06:17
I am trying to split address into house number and address but my problem is that the data is so random it is proving to be a challenge... Sometimes the data starts with a number some a name etc and there is no consistency. I realize this is going to be no where near perfect but I just want something that will take the house number (if the first part of the address is a number) and put that for house number. Otherwise it all goes into the column for address. Also, if there is a direction split that up, too...

Sample data is:
249 N Governors St
Cherry Tree 564 glover rd
regions lobby
west baptist church
lost rd and oprah st billy s/d
245754 oak tree dr xpost
TOYOTA DEALERSHIP ON HAMILTON
6138 HAPPY LN
5643 hill lake way x pinedale dr snap bend s/d off texas

output:
for first record pull out 249 for stno, e for sdir, and the rest for address.

245754, 6138, 5643 would all go into stno and the rest would go into address. I would prefer getting the 564 to go into stno too but I don't know if that is possible.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-10 : 13:23:26
What about addresses like "15th Street #234"?

How many addresses do you have to process? Anything over 100K, save your sanity and buy software to do it. MelissaData has a few products that are reasonably priced. From my experience cleaning up shit addresses, it's either manual (<10K addresses) or specialized software. SQL is poorly suited for parsing and extracting address information.

There may be some SSIS components that can do the cleanup/parsing. You might want to check PragmaticWorks: http://www.pragmaticworks.com/Products.aspx
Go to Top of Page

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-10 : 13:23:27
see here, maybe there is something useful for you:

http://www.sqlteam.com/search.aspx?cx=011171816663894899992%3Aaow51lf_dim&cof=FORID%3A9&q=split+number+and+street

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

cstokes91
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-10 : 13:34:08
@webfred
I am looking into that now... I have started writing something but I was seeing what people would come up with for this exact situation...

@robvolk
My biggest concern is just doing the best we can with what we have and it doesn't by any means have to be perfect and get everything correct. I just want to grab the ones that have numbers at the beginning then throw that into stno, then if they are immediately followed by a direction, throw them into a direction, then whatever else throw it into the address. Whatever doesn't go in perfectly it doesn't matter because it will appear to be the same for the client, just not reporting.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -