Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Slowness

Author  Topic 

shiyam198
Yak Posting Veteran

94 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-24 : 17:08:49
Hi,

I am trying to investigate a performance issue that happened couple of weeks ago. For 20 mins, many users could not log in to a system. The application in question uses a database that has the user details, controls access based on the information on that database tables, etc.

Users reported the outage lasted from 2.42 to 2:54.

I looked at SQL logs and I can't find any thing until 2.54. I get the a stream of these at 2:54

The client was unable to reuse a session with SPID 82, which had been reset for connection pooling. The failure ID is 29. This error may have been caused by an earlier operation failing. Check the error logs for failed operations immediately before this error message.

Error: 18056, Severity: 20, State: 29.

The only log I see before is:

FILESTREAM: effective level = 0, configured level = 0, file system access share name = 'MSSQLSERVER'.

No major activity happened during this time.

Is there any way to figure out what happened during this time?

Thanks so much for your time.

Shiyam

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-26 : 06:15:04
Had you hit some worker thread maximum ? It's difficult to know unless you were monitoring.
Failure ID 29 is the RedoLoginException - consider analysing memory pressure
Is there anything in the Application Log?

As it's been a few weeks - even finding something in the default trace is unlikely - as the logs will have rolled over

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

ovc
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-26 : 12:38:36
I agree with jacky.
Possible memory pressure or you hit the max worker threads.

If you have more than 4 CPUs check that you have also set the max degree of parallelism to a value which is ok
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -