Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Updating a System for SQL Publisher & Subscriber

Author  Topic 

sundayose
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-01 : 16:30:10
Hi All,

I need some guidance here on dealing with an SQL Database.

I have an an SQL Database System running on the SQL Server Publisher replicated to a subscriber.
I have made modification to the system . I need to know whether to effect the changes I need to run the Database update on both the the Publisher and the subscriber or only the publisher.

Thank you.

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-01 : 16:44:10
There can be differences depending you the sql server version you are using, the replication type you are using, and type of modification you are making. In many cases DDL changes on replicated objects can just be made on the publisher.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

sundayose
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-01 : 16:53:09
Am using SQL Server 2005 Ent
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-01 : 17:43:43
When you make the schema changes on the publisher, do they appear at the subscriber within the expected period of time (I don't know how often your distibutor agent runs)?

I don't have a SQL 2005 copy available but in 2008 R2 there is an option to define whether schema changes get replicated or not. Right click the publication -> Subscription Options -> Replicate schema options.

=================================================
There are two kinds of light -- the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures. -James Thurber
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -