Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Help: Organise 20 Databses For Better Maintenance

Author  Topic 

saeed_sp
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-11 : 08:35:19
Hi anybody.
I have a question and hope this had been suitable forum for publish it.
In our company we have about 20 sql database. some of them are huge:2,4,8 gig and another are small.
Each database is on it's application server.It make difficult backup and maintenance of them.
I'm looking for a solution to separate databases from applications ,but i'm in doubt is it a good idea or not?
And if separation database is OK, then are there any standards or best practice to centralize these databases on some servers depend on their size, usability,etc,...?

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-11 : 12:10:32
2,4,8 gig
Do you mean 248 GB? If it's max 8 GB for a dtabase then that would be fairly tiny and you could look at putting them all on a single (or maybe a few) server.
Then you can easily run jobs on all databases on the server.

If you want to leave them on multiple servers look at powershell or suchlike to run scripts on all servers.

I just have a stored procedure that backs up all databases on a server (tr, diff, full) - add that to all servers and schedule it - all as a server setup script so it's not much effoert to set up a (or many) server.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

saeed_sp
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-11 : 12:42:50
Thanks, the max size is 8 Gig.Is there any benefits to centralize  them ob few server, I'm worry about memory issues.my biggest db (8g) currently consumes 9g of 12g memory.Is it could be on a server with another databases?
Go to Top of Page

livcyxingfoe
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-11 : 05:57:48
unspammed
Go to Top of Page

ahmeds08
Aged Yak Warrior

737 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-12 : 06:30:14
What else apart from sql servr do you have..SSIS,SSRS,SSAS?

mohammad.javeed.ahmed@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

zkwaywow
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-04 : 04:46:53
That's great,I agree with your thought.All things are difficult before they are easy.

- Advertisement -