Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 normalisation help!!

Author  Topic 

harshal_in
Aged Yak Warrior

633 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-31 : 03:38:01
I have a table with 56 columns in it and all those columns are extensively used for searches.
actually it is the user_details table which saves the user profile .now there are certain conditions on which search is done like if the user has uploaded a
photo or not,the religion of the user,the hail\r color of the user etc.. these and their permutations and combinations.
now i have to normalise this table.
so should i create more tables to divide these 56 columns or is it recomended to save it in a single table?
pl. help.
thnxs

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-31 : 03:47:35
harshal_in,

Yes you should normalise.

For each Column in you current table ask this question.
"Does the value of this column depend on the Primary Key value only?"

If "Yes" then it stays in the current table.
If "NO" then move to a new table.

DavidM

"SQL-3 is an abomination.."
Go to Top of Page

harshal_in
Aged Yak Warrior

633 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-31 : 03:53:51
but here it seems that all the columns are dependent on the primary key like ,if the user_key ise the primary key,then ,wether the user has subscribed to newsletter,or wether the user has uploaded a photo ,the religion of the user is all dependent on the user.
so ,should i create a table for those columns which are seldom used or what should i do b'coz this table is accessed thousands of times a day!!

Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-31 : 05:09:17
Maybe you could show exactly what columns are in the table, then folk could normalise it for you.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -