Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Partitioning

Author  Topic 

shaggy
Posting Yak Master

248 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-23 : 08:20:56
Hi,
Can anyone explain what is the effective way to do data purging using sql server Partitioning.

if possible kindly provide any links

Thanks.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-23 : 09:33:06
Usually partitioning is not used as part of purging. If you are planning to purge some of the data, there is really no need to partition that - that data will be gone anyway after you purge. Can you explain in a bit more detail what your goal is?
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Posting Yak Master

248 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-25 : 03:48:33
Thanks James,
The task is to Archive of old records
for Eg:- My audit transaction report will be executed month wise today if i run i will get set of data of this month only if i run on march 2 i will get data only for 2 days so my partition is month wise every year end my data will be moved to warehouse table by insert and truncate to current live table recently i came across switch partition so i thought of doing switch partition to staging table and moving staging data to warehouse table every month instead of holding a year data. can anyone tell me whether this approach is good to proceed.

Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-25 : 04:16:46
why cant you create a view over your table and warehouse table so as select one year worth of data combining them?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Posting Yak Master

248 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-25 : 06:46:38
visakh,
Iam not worried about fetching data because my application will get data only for a current month.
currenly my purging rule for my live table is for a year eg:for cuurent year my purging activity will happen on some day on dec 2013 till that time my data will be available in the table as it is a old system we are plaaning for some changes we have concluded this purging activity is taking very long time to process because it is moving data for a year so we thought of moving data every month so we can break some work. my approach is every previous month end i will do switch partition(takes seconds to proceed but doing schema level lock) to a staging table and again i will move it to warehouse table.
Note:
my table is monthwise partition.so this approach will not reduce IO for application (my fetch will be current month wise) but it saves time for moving data to warehouse table.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -