Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Table partitions in SQL server 2008 Table

Author  Topic 

kond.mohan
Posting Yak Master

213 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-28 : 07:35:02
hi,
data is pulling from ORACLE to SQL server Staging Database on DAILY Base.few tables haivng more than 200 millions data.here
1.before loading data we had delete the indexes. after we are creating the indexes(table count is 200 Millons). one of my table index execution is taking more than hour. my questions are
1. before loading the Data we don't want to delete the indexes on this table
if we can perform above action what wiil happen
2.we want to do the table partion(Table partion is existed on source table same way).on the few tables.what are the precauations need to take before doing this activity.
bacause everyday users are accessing the data with incovience(because of performance ISSue).

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-28 : 07:55:30
Sometimes dropping the indexes, inserting the data, and then recreating the indexes can be faster. In some other cases it can be faster to keep the indexes and and insert the data. It depends on how many indexes, how wide those indexes are, how many columns in the index, how the data is distributed etc. So the only way that I know to find out if you would benefit from inserting without dropping the indexes is to do a test.

As for partitioning, take a look at some of the tutorials available online - here is one: http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2013/01/sql-server-table-partitioning-tutorial-videos-and-scripts/ I think Kimberly Tripp has a very good one as well (on sqlskills.com), where she goes into some detail about how you should set it up if one of your objectives is to make OLTP transactions more efficient and faster.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -