Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 SQL Server lowers its performance

Author  Topic 

Tizona10
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-02-28 : 16:45:26
In my company we have a application with .NET (C# with LinQ) with SQL Server 2008 R2 and sometimes it lowers its performance and it makes slower of the database. This is more noticeable in some forms than others. Process which typically take seconds to run, with the problem may last 5 minutes. What is most worrying is that in some cases it happens, and another cases, the DB is OK. Sometimes it is solved doing nothing. ¿What can happen?. Until now we are solving rebuilding indexes, reboot SQL Server and even restarting the machine.

I've gone mad looking for locks, heavy queries, etc.. but I can't find the solution. What might look to give me hints? What can it be? As I said before, the most unusual is that it doesn't always go wrong. It may be that anything from .NET+LinQ slows the DB?

Can anyone to find a solution?

Thanks

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-28 : 17:13:31
If the .Net code uses LINQ to SQL, I am not surprised. LINQ to SQL looks elegant when written in C#, but the queries that it sends to the server can be very inefficient.

The first thing I would look at is if there are blocking queries - probably the simplest is to run sp_who2. But since you have already done that and found nothing, you may want to look at other things: the load on the CPU, disk activity, memory pressure etc.
Go to Top of Page

ahmeds08
Aged Yak Warrior

737 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-05 : 23:37:00
Using perfmon might give you some thing.
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-07 : 01:54:43
Is it always the same task or is it different tasks can experience the same problem?
If it's always the same tasks - ensure you create some timings for when they run properly. Compare to when running slowly.
Drill into the specific sessions nd attempt to identify where the delays is occuring?

One other consideration - is there a correlation between increased workload and decreased performance? Are there other activities going on at the same time?

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -