Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Dynamic Concat ?

Author  Topic 

ZMike
Posting Yak Master

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-11 : 16:03:08
I wanted to see if there is a way to dynamically concatenate all of the fields in my table so i can use it for a full text search.

I have a table that is quite large column wise,

SELECT
ReportID, ReportServer, ReportName
, SQLQuery1 Thru SQLQuery49
, SQLFields1 Thru SQLFields379

FROM A

I wanted to get the data down to the following

ReportID, ReportServer, ReportName , Search (Which is all of the queries and fields)

Since depending on what is active, this number could fluctuate a lot and obviously I don't want to Copy Paste that many times hard coded

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-11 : 17:24:24
Two questions:

1. Why are you storing SQLQuery data as multiple columns (denormalized), rather than 1 column with 1 row for each entry (normalized)?
2. If you can't change that structure, why not just add all the columns to the fulltext index? You can specify a full column list in CONTAINS & FREETEXT predicates.
Go to Top of Page

ZMike
Posting Yak Master

110 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-11 : 21:11:06
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

Two questions:

1. Why are you storing SQLQuery data as multiple columns (denormalized), rather than 1 column with 1 row for each entry (normalized)?
2. If you can't change that structure, why not just add all the columns to the fulltext index? You can specify a full column list in CONTAINS & FREETEXT predicates.

1. I have a more normalized table currently with a full text search on. I am still very new to full text search so if you have something in mind could you elaborate a bit more ?

The situation on the normalized table is I'm running data against 6 SSRS databases (and counting) and pulling all of the queries behind them. I have found that we have several extremely large reports (49 queries is the largest). That's within a whole separate issue that I'll have to check into.

So on that 1 report if I did a full text search I would get 49 record hits for that 1 report. I only want to get 1 hit per Report if at all possible. I figured if I could get them in more of a pivoted format then maybe I could roll up the search that way and then I would end up with 1 record for that full text search.

2. How do you add all the columns to the fulltext via tsql ? Some of the examples that I found online were taking each field and doing something like this :

SELECT DISTINCT
ReportID, ReportServer, ReportName
, Field1 + Field2 + Field3 AS Search

FROM A

and then referencing that in the search. If there is a better way for my situation would you be so kind as to elaborate a bit more ? I'm sure I'm probably making this harder than it really should be.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-12 : 11:23:35
Proof of concept to support option 2:
CREATE TABLE FTS(ID INT NOT NULL IDENTITY(1,1), CONSTRAINT PK_FTS PRIMARY KEY(ID),
col1 VARCHAR(256),
col2 VARCHAR(256),
col3 VARCHAR(256),
col4 VARCHAR(256),
col5 VARCHAR(256),
col6 VARCHAR(256),
col7 VARCHAR(256),
col8 VARCHAR(256),
col9 VARCHAR(256));

INSERT FTS(col1) VALUES('To');
INSERT FTS(col2) VALUES('Be');
INSERT FTS(col3) VALUES('Or');
INSERT FTS(col4) VALUES('Not');
INSERT FTS(col5) VALUES('To');
INSERT FTS(col6) VALUES('Be');
INSERT FTS(col7) VALUES('That');
INSERT FTS(col8) VALUES('Is');
INSERT FTS(col9) VALUES('The Question');
INSERT FTS(col5) VALUES('To Be Or Not To Be That Is The Question');

CREATE FULLTEXT CATALOG FTS_cat AS DEFAULT;

CREATE FULLTEXT INDEX ON FTS(col1,col2,col3,col4,col5,col6,col7,col8,col9)
KEY INDEX PK_FTS WITH STOPLIST = OFF;

SELECT * FROM FTS WHERE CONTAINS(col1,'to') -- one row
SELECT * FROM FTS WHERE CONTAINS(col2,'to') -- no rows
SELECT * FROM FTS WHERE CONTAINS(*,'to') -- 3 rows

-- clean up
DROP FULLTEXT INDEX ON FTS;
DROP TABLE FTS;
DROP FULLTEXT CATALOG FTS_cat;
If you need to add new columns to the FT index you can use ALTER FULLTEXT INDEX.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -