Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Huge IndexSize on aspnet_users

Author  Topic 

FrankPeterSteinmeyer
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-13 : 06:54:02
Hi

We've got a SQL-2005-Database in the back of an asp.net-Application. We are using the SQLMembershipProvider to manage the Users.

Now the problem is, that the aspnet_users-table with only about 500 Users uses 88MB space (I guess it's primarily index-space) - which I find is a lot. The customer has a very expensive database-hosting-provider, so every MB counts.

My first question: is it normal that so little user-records produce such a large amount of index-data? Second: how can I reduce the space needed?

I have to admit that I'm not really a proficient sql-server-user. Usually I create the database and tables without much additional optimization.

Regards,
Frank

ahmeds08
Aged Yak Warrior

737 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-13 : 07:07:24
check if the table has a composite clustered index.
Go to Top of Page

FrankPeterSteinmeyer
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-13 : 08:17:15
quote:
Originally posted by ahmeds08

check if the table has a composite clustered index.

Hi ahmeds08

How can I do this?
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-13 : 11:27:13
EXEC sp_help 'aspnet_users-table'

There will be output on the columns, indexes, constraints, and other information. Look in the indexes section for the clustered index and which columns it has.

Also look for text/ntext/image/varchar(max)/varbinary(max) columns, if it's storing large data in such columns this could be what's taking up the space.
Go to Top of Page

FrankPeterSteinmeyer
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-13 : 12:19:30
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

EXEC sp_help 'aspnet_users-table'

Thanks a lot for your help, I will check this!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -