SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 alert for server down
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

786 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  09:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I thought I have set enough alerts to be notified when the server is going down, but yesterday, the test server went down, and none of the alerts fired.

The network team got too many snapshots on the C drive and it run out of space. That forced the server down.

I have alerts for severity from 025 to 016, then error 823, 824, 825 for early hardware failure.

After it was back, it did not have anything meaningful in sql server log or windows log(at least I couldn't tell).

So my question is, when event like this happens, how does DBA get notified?

Thanks!

Edited by - Hommer on 03/22/2013 09:52:14

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

786 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  10:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I think about it, it should be a solution similar to how the witness server functions in mirroring.

Server A has this job periodically ping server B. If got no response, send notification.

Am I on the right track? Any one knows a custom solution like this? I am sure those commercial third party tools could work this way.

Edited by - Hommer on 03/22/2013 11:53:48
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  11:08:26  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's usually something for a general monitoring tool. Our shop is using Microsoft SCOM (Service Center Ops Manager). There are other monitoring tools available. While it's not cheap and usually takes A LOT of customization, it works pretty well and tends to be better than homespun tools. For instance, your two SQL Servers may be able to ping each other just fine, but nothing else can reach them. (yep, this has happened to me) And if they can't send out to the email server, you won't get the alert either.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36996 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  13:26:53  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are using SCOM too. We have hundreds of SQL Servers, and SCOM works great for monitoring. I agree that it does require A LOT of customization. We have a dedicated SCOM team, so the DBAs are not required to learn it. lol

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000