Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Access 2010 to SQL Server 2008 R2

Author  Topic 

James Niven
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-22 : 13:40:07
I am a newbie when it comes to SQL Server databases, but I am learning by practise.

I have a database running nicely in Access 2010 which I use as my master. I have 2 other databases which I download a lot of text files daily into each one to compare yesterday's data to today's to find changes and both of these are linked to the master database via 2 linked tables and then I run updates within this database.

The database size is beginning to become big in size, so a little reading I found out I can upsize my access database to SQL server and create a ADP (Access Data Project). I have done this successfully and the data and updates can flow both ways from Sql to Access and vise versa.

My question is now, how do I handle the two linked database tables now since all the tables are in SQL now? Do I just link these two in access as per usual or is there another option within SQL?

Thanks

=======================
James Niven
Austin, Texas
=======================

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-22 : 14:13:21
within SQL you can just join the tables and do comparison to check the difference in data. Which column helps you to determine changes? Is there a primary key or timestamp column?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

James Niven
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-22 : 14:41:35
Hi Visakh16,
Thanks for the reply.

Ok, lets step back a bit. Within Access you can link a database table, how is this done in SQL?

=======================
James Niven
Austin, Texas
=======================
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -