Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 need more details of a login failure

Author  Topic 

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

808 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-17 : 09:58:04
Hi,

I am in the process of chasing down a login failure from an vendor app.

I have many entries like the one here in my sql server and windows log. However, I found nothing on the app server itslef. What else can I do to narrow it down? Does sql 2008 R2 have other capability to reveal the nature of this kind of login attempts?

Thanks!

Date 4/16/2013 6:56:27 AM
Log Windows NT (Application)

Source MSSQLSERVER
Category Logon
Event 3221243928
Computer my_sql_server.myDC
Login failed for user 'abc'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database. [CLIENT: nn.nn.nn.nnn](<--my app server's IP)

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-17 : 13:55:04
The user 'abc' has a default database defined that is not available - or the application is specifying the database to be used in the connection and that database does not exist.
Go to Top of Page

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

808 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-17 : 14:32:17
Well, the message definitely indicates that is the case. However, user 'abc' is a vilid user/role and whatever the db (master first, or directly to the spesific db) does exist, because both the activity monitor and business users are using the application.

So how to seperate these bad calls from the good ones?

I understand this has more to do with the design of the vednor app, but couldn't help asking the question.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw8713

The user 'abc' has a default database defined that is not available - or the application is specifying the database to be used in the connection and that database does not exist.

Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-17 : 16:09:55
It's not a bad call. The message means exactly what Jeff told you it does.
Go to Top of Page

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

808 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-17 : 16:24:08
or should I say find additional information on these failed ones before it escalates?

Will profiler be a good tool for this?
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-18 : 13:09:32
You can try running a trace - but I doubt it will give you any additional information.
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-19 : 01:52:16
I normally run a report every day across every SQL Server Instance , and report on login failures. Apart from being an audit requirement , it does also help troubleshoot various issues , for example - application clean up , individuals who no longer have permissions, misconfigurations etc

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -