Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Activity Monitor Question

Author  Topic 

Grifter
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

274 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-19 : 06:04:15
Hi

I've a local SQL Server 2005 DB and just having a look through my activity monitor. I have 3 items 1 has user = NT authority/System, the other two are user = my own domain name. The first and second item has command = AWAITING COMMAND and Database = msdb and master, the third has DB = tempdb and command = SELECT INTO. The first two say sleeping and 3rd says runnable.

What are these? I only work on my own DB and locally?

I also have about 15 locks by object and wonder do I need to do anything with these, can I clear them?

I don't have any issues with my DB just wondering what these items are there for and what they signify?

Thanks

G

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-22 : 06:29:28
The System ones are SQl services most likely and you can not kill them or definitly shouldn't. The SELECT INTO is you looking at Activity Monitor, the same as if you type sp_who2 into a query window and run it.

If you have no issues, definitely leave alone, the same as if you do not understand what a process is being used for, do not touch or kill anything until you are very sure of what that process is doing.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -