Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Owners of SQL Agent Accounts

Author  Topic 

WJHamel
Aged Yak Warrior

651 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-24 : 13:36:43
921 people work here and NO ONE can figure out WHY this is happening.

In trying to run SQL Agent Jobs, either SQL 2008 or 2005, the job defaults to run under my account (or whichever dba is building the job). The job inexorably fails with those accounts. The only other account to choose is NT Authority/System. The job will run under that account, but as soon as any of us open the job to modify it, it automatically changes the ownership back to the account which will cause it to fail.

We've been told to set up Agent jobs under the same account that the MSSQLSERVER service is running under. When we look at the MSSQLSERVER Service, it is running under "Local System Policy". Running the agent jobs under NT Authority / System is a security violation (I work for the Government).

Please end this madness!!!!

Lamprey
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4614 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-24 : 14:10:12
My understanding is that if you don't pick the Run As on the job step, it is going to run under the same credintials as the SQL Server Agent service runs under. Why it would be chaning that value when you open the job, I'm not sure. But, If you need the job step to run under a different context you should set up a Proxy.
Go to Top of Page

WJHamel
Aged Yak Warrior

651 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-24 : 14:42:25
Agent is running under "Local System Policy" also.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -