Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Table Very Slow After Defrag (A Mystery)

Author  Topic 

sberringer
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-26 : 12:03:19
A client had not run his index defrag maintenance job in 4 years, most indexes where fragmented at 99%, so I turned the maintenance job back on. The next morning, one table in the database, (about 100,000 rows) had been defragged completely (0.3%). It had two indexes, a clustered on the primary key, an identity column, and one non-clustered index. An insert on this table normally takes less than a second, after the defrag, 2 minutes. The quick fix was to make a copy of the table and change the names of the tables, horrible solution I know, but it worked.

Any ideas why this might have happened? Maybe the statistics needed to be dropped?

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-26 : 12:30:05
Did you update the statistics after the defrag?

Statistics are not updated by a defrag.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

sberringer
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-26 : 12:54:59
No, didn't update the statistics. That was probably it, but just wanted to see if anybody had experienced the same issue. I've run various forms of index defragging for a long, long time and never seen anything like this. Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -