Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Not sure what i'm being asked to do.

Author  Topic 

WJHamel
Aged Yak Warrior

651 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 13:22:17
Alright, we have several servers that are nodes in clusters. I've been told to, on number of these servers, to remove (drop) any and all user databases from these server. Additionally, I've been asked to "remove" any services related to MSSQL Server from those same machines. The MSSQL software needs to remain on the server, and it's not enough to simply disable the related services, but the services need to be "removed". This has something to do with the ways in which some of our applications touch these databases. Obviously, i can drop the databases easily, but what's the deal with the idea of "deleting" services related to MSSQL?? No one here can seem to answer me.

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 15:07:03
You need to get complete clarification on the request.

This doesn't sound right at all.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 15:22:02
You will likely break the cluster if you follow these instructions.

If there's no one that can answer your questions, then do not proceed. Whomever asked you to do this work needs to explain exactly why this needs to happen and exactly how. They clearly are not knowledgeable.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

WJHamel
Aged Yak Warrior

651 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 15:25:59
The only clarification of been able to get from the group of trained monkeys in upper management is that "only the .dll's for the installation of SQL Server need to remain on those boxes".

yeah. right. Whatever.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 15:54:34
Sounds like they want you to uninstall SQL Server.

Very unusual request to say the least. As Tara said, do not proceed without clear instruction.
Go to Top of Page

WJHamel
Aged Yak Warrior

651 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 15:59:14
I've tried to clarify that. They want SQL uninstalled but they want the .dll's to remain. makes no sense.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 17:38:44
I would start with just setting the SQL Services offline, and then wait to see who starts screaming.

That should clarify things.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

WJHamel
Aged Yak Warrior

651 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-07 : 10:18:32
i love doing that. We're pretty well segmented here but little is documented. There are "data owners" but often now way of finding out who the data owners are for different servers. If i just stop the MSSQLSERVER service, and wait to see who comes running to my door, i get to find out who the data owner is.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -