Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 automating index rebuilds...

Author  Topic 

mikebird
Aged Yak Warrior

529 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-07 : 05:58:04
after looking at the standard report os this, sick of drilling down, what's the best way to run a process for this? Worth making manual decisions, or setting thresholds? SQL Agent?

Using EXPRESS edition

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-07 : 11:30:00
You should REORGANIZE if the fragmentation is less than 30 and REBUILD above. I usually do not worry about low fragmented indexes.
I use something like this which creates a table of executable code. The comment after the code is so I can copy the two columns and know the
percent of fragmentation and still run the
DECLARE @strSQL NVARCHAR(2000) 
SET @strSQL = 'IF ''?'' IN (''master'', ''model'', ''msdb'', ''tempdb'', ''distribution'') RETURN; '
+ 'USE ?; '
+ 'SELECT ''?'' AS DBName, t.name AS TableName, '
+ 'CASE WHEN avg_fragmentation_in_percent < 30 '
+ 'THEN ''ALTER INDEX ['' + s.name + ''] ON ['' + t.name + ''] REORGANIZE; --'' '
+ 'ELSE ''ALTER INDEX ['' + s.name + ''] ON ['' + t.name + ''] REBUILD; --'' '
+ 'END AS ExecuteCode, avg_fragmentation_in_percent '
+ 'FROM sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats (DB_ID(DB_NAME()), NULL, NULL , NULL, N''LIMITED'') d '
+ 'INNER JOIN sysindexes s ON OBJECT_ID = s.id and d.index_id = s.indid '
+ 'INNER JOIN sys.tables t ON s.id = t.object_id '
+ 'ORDER BY DBName, s.name DESC; '
print @strSQL

EXECUTE sp_MSForEachdB @strSQL
go

Example (you will need USE AdventurWorks2008R2):
ALTER INDEX [PK_Vendor_BusinessEntityID] ON [Vendor] REBUILD; --	50

djj
Go to Top of Page

ahmeds08
Aged Yak Warrior

737 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-08 : 01:28:52
you can use Ola's script to do that.
http://ola.hallengren.com/sql-server-index-and-statistics-maintenance.html

mohammad.javeed.ahmed@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

mikebird
Aged Yak Warrior

529 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-08 : 07:25:30

with experience, I've reorganised and rebuilt clustered indexes as flagged by the index physical stats, where only a handful are marked for this action. I've seen fragmentation at 99%, 97%, 94%, 88%, 67%, 50%, etc. Showing properties, the high frags go to 0% immediately. Then others stay the same. The boss saw fragmentation as files on any DOS or Windows disk. I think of filegroups keeping files separate. I thought performance improvement was all about indexing and execution plans (cached)?
Go to Top of Page

srimami
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-10 : 04:46:48
Hi Mike,

I haven't got your description but what I understand from subject line is you wanted to automate the process of rebuilding indexes. The best way to do that is create a maintenance plan and schedule to run during off peak hours (Usually Sundays under maintenance window, if any)and rebuild Index.

Hope this helps, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-10 : 13:55:53
You can manage it through SQL Server Agent . Also try and negotiate with the owners for a dedicated maintenance window

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -