Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Where did the chit-chat go?

Author  Topic 

Doug G
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

331 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-11 : 18:47:27
There used to be quite a lot of general conversation in the yak corral, where did it all go? Is facebook and twitter really going to kill forums like this?

Just curious.

======
Doug G
======

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-12 : 11:40:50
No, fb isn't killing this forum.
I think it is the changing on which people are posting much in these SQL forums.
Just for me I can see there is no need for my answers here any longer because a few guys like visakh and some others will do the job and they have answers to all questions... I feel like I am retired

So yes - I am more ON on fb but it is fine.

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-12 : 12:07:12
Ah - and if some mates here are missing the postings of some funny, senseless shit then I would like to get back in touch on facebook
www.facebook.com/webfred

Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie

3451 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-12 : 16:45:59
sad to hear that webfred -- always respected your willingness to answer a question - no matter how stupd/crazy/incomplete the question was.

For me -- don't visit so often now that I don't spend every working day in SQL land -- always seems to be something more pressing to do.

Still have a very fond space in my heart for SQL Team though.

Transact Charlie
Msg 3903.. The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION.
http://nosqlsolution.blogspot.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-12 : 16:47:32
quote:
Originally posted by webfred

No, fb isn't killing this forum.
I think it is the changing on which people are posting much in these SQL forums.
Just for me I can see there is no need for my answers here any longer because a few guys like visakh and some others will do the job and they have answers to all questions... I feel like I am retired

So yes - I am more ON on fb but it is fine.

Webfred, this is an interesting observation. I felt compelled to respond because, at least for a period of time, I was one of those "others" you mention.

In January, the company I was working for announced that they were closing. The company wanted me to stick around for a few more months to archive the data and be there in case there were questions. I didn't have much work to do, and SQL Team is where I spent my time on, answering every question that was posted. Even when I didn't know the EXACT answer, I would give it a try. At least for a period of time, my daily post count was well over 30.

Then it dawned on me that it just isn't right that I respond to every question posted. Brilliant, charming, and witty as I might be, it occurred to me that there might be others who have better and more concise solutions and differing points of view, and such people might be prevented from contributing because of me trying to shout the loudest. That my enthusiasm and diligence might be hurting the diversity and richness of opinions and answers presented on the forum was not a comforting thought.

That thought precipitated me to reduce my post count substantially. Now when I login, I make it a point to respond only to questions that have been sitting there unanswered at least for a few hours so others will have a chance to respond. That I have been gainfully employed at another company since then and have real work to do prevents me from responding to every question, but I did reduce my daily post count even before I started the new job.

In any case, I am sorry if my actions caused you to stay away from or reduce the number of your posts. I have been a member of SQL Team only since January, but have followed it on and off for a long time. Your answers and posts have a brevity and subtle humor to them and I have always enjoyed reading your responses.
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-13 : 11:46:42

There is something you should understand about the way I work. When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go. It's rather sad, really, but there it is.

Thank you both for your kind words.
But no, there is no problem and nobody has to feel sorry.

I always will love sqlteam and its members A N D

Go to Top of Page

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-13 : 14:03:32
quote:

There is something you should understand about the way I work. When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go. It's rather sad, really, but there it is.

Thank you both for your kind words.
But no, there is no problem and nobody has to feel sorry.

I always will love sqlteam and its members A N D

The Nanny McPhee of SQL Server.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-13 : 17:24:18
Surely you don't mean Nanny McPhee with the walking stick of the "bee-hive" fame!!

I thought I was the only adult who thought that movie was great!!
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-14 : 04:46:44
In the german version this "playing with words" i.e. behave / beehive is missing/can't be translated... and yes that movie was great indeed!

Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-14 : 09:51:14
I think a lot of the "General Conversation" left with Brett. He started a lot of the off topic threads.
Go to Top of Page

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-15 : 04:22:28
I still hang around, but am so often swamped with work that I do not get time to look at the forum some days and other days only for an a brief visit.
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-17 : 04:44:55
quote:
Originally posted by Doug G

There used to be quite a lot of general conversation in the yak corral, where did it all go? Is facebook and twitter really going to kill forums like this?

Just curious.

======
Doug G
======

I think most of the long-time members are not so active as earlier. Facebook and Twitter may affect general conversations in Forums like Yak Corral

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-17 : 04:45:54
quote:

Ah - and if some mates here are missing the postings of some funny, senseless shit then I would like to get back in touch on facebook
www.facebook.com/webfred

Nice webfred. I sent you a friend request

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

Doug G

331 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-18 : 18:15:16
quote:
Originally posted by russell

I think a lot of the "General Conversation" left with Brett. He started a lot of the off topic threads.

I think you're right. Brett could be counted on to start a thread about any NY sports team and other interesting subjects.

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-20 : 13:55:32
If you want to hear from Brett and you don't want to wait for a NY sports team to get on a roll then just say something about Jimmy Buffet.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-20 : 14:56:37
quote:
Originally posted by TG

If you want to hear from Brett and you don't want to wait for a NY sports team to get on a roll then just say something about Jimmy Buffet.
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=182242
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-20 : 15:25:01
Oh man, I hadn't heard. Thanks Rob.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

PSamsig

384 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-29 : 16:10:34
quote:
Originally posted by Transact Charlie
Still have a very fond space in my heart for SQL Team though.

Sigh, where did that like button go..,

-- If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -