Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 best practice for merging 2 sql databases

Author  Topic 

crashoverrride
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-18 : 07:18:06
Bad news, our website server crashed...
Luckily few hours later our backup server was up and website was live again.
Hopefully tomorrow our original server will be fixed and i'm looking for the best practice to merge SQL data.

this is the situation right now :
Original server has backed up data till 16th 01:30AM (night.bak)
Original server has data which is not backed up data till 17th 00:30AM
so basically there is 23 hours missing on the night.bak

I restored the night.bak to the temporary server since 17th 03:00 new data is being added to the temporary server.

Tomorrow i wish to take data from the temporary server (17th 03:00 till 19th) and put it back on the original server.

I believe i can't make differential backup on the temporary server and restore it on the original server because last backup on original server has timestamp of 16th 01:30AM but i don't really know so i'm asking here...

My main concern is to preserve data of joined tables that share index keys

Thanks for the helpers!

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-23 : 16:08:04
Not clear: Will the original server have the missing 23 hours of data or is that data simply out of reach? If the data exists then you could set up a linked server between the original and the temporary and insert/select the "new" data to the original database. Hopefully there is a datetime column that you can use to limit the data scope. If the 23 hours of data does not exist anymore, then all of the data should be on your temporary database. You could simply backup temporary and restore it to original. Or the other hand, I could be grossly misunderstanding your situation; in which case please feel free to ignore my idle ramblings.

=================================================
May my silences become more accurate. -Theodore Roethke (1908-1963)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -