Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Best way to handle collation errors

Author  Topic 

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-23 : 10:54:32
We sometimes get collation errors with temp tables such as:
Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_CI_AS" in the equal to operation.

Our policy is that we can control the Collation of our Database but we can not control the collation on the Server, our customer does. So if our customer sets the collation to something other than our Database, we can get these errors.

We have been solving this by specifying the collation on every varchar temp table column. We are wondering what you believe is the best method to solve this issue? For example, I heard another way is to specify the collation on the queryies joins.

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-23 : 11:05:49
Would need to know a lot more about what you do.

If you're importing data from the customer, change the collation on the way in.

Temp tables are no different than any other tables when it comes to resolving collation conflicts.

Specifying collation on joins is common where there are conflicts.
Go to Top of Page

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-23 : 11:10:58
We provide an application for customers. If their server has the same collation as our Database, we have no problems.

Just trying to find what the best method for dealing with this, with regards to temp tables, or as you say any table.

Is there any other option besides, specifying it on the column declaration or specifying it on the join? I wish there was an option, like: assume Database collation on all joins as a default.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-23 : 11:15:51
Ahhh, I think I see now.

Your database gets deployed to their server? In this case, it is THEM encountering the conflicts not YOU right? I'll tell them we only support such and such collation.
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-23 : 11:20:23
The issue, as I understand it, is that when the collation of the database differs from that of the server, you run into problems.

As you perhaps know, if you create a temp table (which gets created in tempdb), by default, the collation will be the server collation (which should be the collation in MSDB).

You can override that by explicitly specifying a collation during creation of the temp table.

Given that, one way would be modify your scripts that create temp tables to specify the collation as "database_default". When you do that, temp tables use the collation of the current database (your database), rather than the collation of MSDB. That is the most portable solution that I can think of.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-23 : 11:25:41
Ahh, good catch James.

Another workaround would be to not use #temp tables just use regular tables and don't forget ot drop 'em
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -